East Providence Housing Header
Home | Public Housing | HCV Program | FSS Program | Calendar | Contact Us

Housing Choice Voucher Program - Landlords

Landlord Information

Thank you for your interest in the Housing Choice Voucher Program also referred to as “Section 8”. This program provides rental assistance to low income individuals and families. A housing subsidy is paid directly to the landlord/owner by the EPHA on behalf of the participating family. The family then pays the difference between the actual rent charged by the landlord and the amount subsidized by the program. This amount cannot exceed 40 percent of their annual adjusted income at move-in.

Below is a list of some commonly asked questions, posed by some of our landlords, about the Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) program, also referred to as Section 8.  As you read through them we hope you will find them helpful.  Please refer to our STAFF DIRECTORY to contact a member of the HCV Department for more information.

Q: How Do I List My Property with the HCV Program?

A: Landlords are able to submit their listing of an available unit by calling 401-434-7645 and speaking to someone in the HCV department.  Available units are posted on the office bulletin board and mailed out to participants upon request.

Q: Who qualifies and picks my tenant?

A: You must do your own tenant screening and test for suitability. The EPHA does not perform screening with respect to a family’s behavior or suitability of tenancy.  Owners are allowed and encouraged to screen families on the basis of their tenancy history, prior to selecting a family to reside in their unit

Q: How Much Can I Rent My Unit For?

A: The EPHA has Payment Standards by bedroom sizes that are guidelines for determining the maximum subsidy we can pay for a family. This Payment Standard is generally a gauge of the current rental market. However, each unit is evaluated by the Inspector on a case-by-case basis. Each unit's rent must be reasonable and comparable to unassisted private market rental units of similar size, location, amenities, quality, unit type, maintenance, utilities and services.

Q: Who Pays the Security Deposit?

A: All tenants are responsible for their own Security Deposit pursuant to State and local laws.

Q: What Happens After I Find A Tenant?

A: Once you have identified an acceptable Section 8 Participant, complete the Request for Tenancy Approval (RTA) form & package that the tenant provides you with. Once those documents are received in our office, the office will contact you to schedule an inspection of the unit.  (A link to the RTA form only is available below.  A complete package, that includes this form, will be given to you by the participant.)  The voucher holder will meet with a specialist to review their income and determine what their share of the rent will be.  The lease will begin once the tenants file is in order and the inspection is completed with a “passed” status.  This is typically the first day of the month.

Q: What Will The Inspector Be Looking For?

A: The Housing Inspector will be checking to see whether the unit is in compliance with Housing Quality Standards (HQS). These are minimum standards that any unit rented under the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program must meet. Please refer to the links below for HUD’s booklet titled “A Good Place To Live”, the HCV Inspection booklet used to evaluate your unit prior to lease-up and at yearly inspections, and a list of inspection highlights.

Q: Can I Use My Own Lease?

A: You must use your own lease, as the EPHA does not provide one for you. However, HUD regulations require that the HUD Tenancy Addendum be attached to an owner provided lease. If the owner's lease contradicts anything in the HUD Tenancy Addendum, the HUD addendum shall prevail. 

Q: When Can I Expect My First Check?

A: Once the unit has passed inspection and you have executed the lease, you will meet with a program representative to execute the Housing Assistance Payments (HAP) Contract.  At this meeting you will also need to provide proof of ownership and sign a W-9 Form, if you have not done so already. The contract will then be processed for payment.  A check for the EPHA portion will be sent on the first of each month.

Q: Who Do I Call If I have a Question or Problem With The Tenancy?

A: Each tenant is assigned a Housing Specialist. The specialist handles any matters concerning the family's income or household composition and payments. Other items that constitute a violation of the lease need to be addressed with the tenant.  Any notices served to the tenant must also be copied to the housing authority. The specialist is always available to answer any question you may have.

Q: Is My Unit Inspected After The Initial Inspection?

A: Yes. The EPHA must inspect all participant units annually. This is generally done near the contract anniversary date. In addition, in the case of an emergency or complaint by the owner or tenant, a special inspection will be done.

Q: How Long Can I Rent To A Housing Choice Voucher Family?

A: The initial lease term is for one year. After the initial term, the lease continues on a month-to-month basis.  You will still continue to receive housing assistance payments as long as the tenant remains in your unit, unless their assistance has been terminated.


HAP Contract English | Spanish

HQS Inspection Booklet

HUD’s HCV Fact Sheet

Request for Tenancy Approval (RTA) English | Spanish

W-9 Form

Fraud Reporting Form PDF

Housing Quality Standards (HQS) Inspection Checklist

Utility Allowance Schedule PDF

for the Housing Choice Voucher Program.

At this time we don't know when it is expected to re-open. We will continue to monitor the size and wait time. All formal announcements will be placed in local newspapers and on this website.